Hi, Femme Bosses! This is a list of the books that helped me springboard my career, productivity, emotional regulation, finances, and sustained motivation into success over the last 1.5 years!
I started out with this blog feeling incredibly defeated by graduate school. I felt like a complete failure, even though I had managed to obtain my Master of Science in Chemistry from the number 1 school in the world for my graduate field of study. It turns out it was because I had been harboring a slew of negative beliefs about myself. I also had very poorly defined measures of personal success, and I had developed some poor habits regarding self-care, presenting myself with self-confidence to others, and time management. In other words, I had allowed my immense anxieties about being a “flop” in society to overtake any progress or good feelings I held about myself.
When I decided to get serious about taking the reins over my life, fixing my mental health, and creating my own dream life, I gave my depressed and anxious brain the 1-2 punch with the following books. I won’t bore you with the long-winded summaries of what the books are supposed to do – you can probably judge from the titles themselves which books will be most helpful to you! Click on the links to review the materials for yourself at Amazon.
Here they are:
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change by Stephen R. Covey. You can also read a free PDF version of this book here.
- Who Moved My Cheese?: An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life by Spencer Johnson, M.D. You can also find a free PDF version of the book here.
- How to Learn: Any Skill or Subject in 21 Days! by Sebastian Archer
- Boss Bitch: A Simple 12-Step Plan to Take Charge of Your Career by Nicole Lapin.
- Body Love: Live in Balance, Weigh What You Want, and Free Yourself from Food Drama Forever Kelley LeVeque.
- Artist of Life Workbook by Aileen Xu (Lavendaire).
- #Girlboss by Sophia Amoruso.
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living The Good Life by Mark Manson.
- Awesome in Hours: 7 Easily Obtainable Qualities, 35 Practical Take-aways to becoming an Awesome Individual by Dr. Michael Unks and Ida Sveningsson
- Buy Your Own Island: The Ultimate Guide to Breaking Free and Making Your Dreams Reality by Danny Flood.
- The Highly Sensitive Person: How to Thrive When the World Overwhelms You by Elaine N. Aron, Ph.D.
While I was in graduate school, I was expected to go in to work 6 days a week for 12-14 hours a day. Talk about exhausting! However, I made sure each morning to include 15-30 min of reading (even just skimming some days!) of one (JUST ONE!) of these books. I had downloaded them all onto my iPad Kindle App at the same time, but I knew I just had to tackle one at a time so as not to get lost and overwhelmed and just give up. I also usually coupled this 15-30 min of quick reading with the elliptical machine at the school fitness center. This gave me the opportunity to work out my brain while I worked out my body. It gives you something more positive and encouraging to think about than “wow, this running is really starting to hurt and suck.” I also reflected on this material throughout the day and journaled about it at night before turning off the lights to sleep.
You have to keep feeding the positive beliefs with good materials like these and starving the negative beliefs you have about yourself. Good luck this week, Femme Bosses!
Hannah Stringfellow is a freelance blogger and world traveler. She holds an M.S., Chemistry, from the University of California, Berkeley. Her interests include women’s empowerment, health and wellness, and cross-cultural competency.